Stress can affect our entire being, unfortunately that means our skin, hair, and nails too.The emotions we carry around can have a BIG effect on our skin. So what exactly happens when we are stressed out?
Some of us hide it better than others but there’s no hiding from ourselves. Stress causes a release in cortisol and other hormones which tells our sebaceous glands to produce more oil which in turn causes break outs.
When our emotions are running high it can also worsen any pre-existing skin conditions such as fever blisters, rosacea, eczema, psoriasis, and any other type of rash. If you notice your skin is more sensitive than usual during this time you should avoid your usual skincare routine. Be extra gentle and give your body more TLC than usual. Chronic stress can cause inflammation, worry lines, dryness and circles under your eyes. Of course, Simply Radiant Beauty had a plethora of topical treatments to help alleviate some of these not so wonderful symptoms but in order to get to the bottom of the issue, its important to learn how to handle stress.
How we can Reduce the Signs of Stress on our Skin
- Regular Exercise - This is HUGE. Exercise produces endorphins and to quote Elle Woods from Legally Blonde “Endorphins make you happy & happy people don’t kill their husbands.” So for you and possibly your husband’s sake, start producing those endorphins!
- Talk it Out - Talk to someone, not everyone but one or two people you can really trust and count on. If you don’t have someone in your life that you can talk to, try a professional. Sometimes a professional can offer a fresh perspective.
- Set Boundaries - Instead of saying YES to everything learn how to say NO. Saying No is one of the most powerful & important things you can learn to help with stress management.
- Get Some Sleep – 7 to 8 hours a night is ideal. (Getting enough sleep will also help reduce those dark circles.)
- Take a walk – When things start to get really overwhelming, drop everything and take a walk. Coming back to a situation with a fresh perspective can help you sort things out logically instead of getting overly emotional in the moment.
- Yoga, Meditation & Breathing Exercises – Stress management such as these can help you to learn in depth how to deal with difficult situations and also release emotion you might not even realize you have been holding on to. It’s not uncommon for people to cry during a yoga class or massage. Stress management helps to gently guide you through different techniques and mindsets that lead you to a more stress free life.
According to Forest Gump, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!" So do your best to control your health and stress and have beautiful skin!
Simply Radiant Organic Skin Care