If you are like most people, you will have had a connection to someone who has or had cancer. Some of the most common side effects of treating cancer via chemotherapy or radiation include loss of hair, loss of appetite and nausea. It is estimated that one third of cancer patients will experience irritated, itchy, dry skin.
Skin can become overly sensitive and react to normal over the counter skin care products. Below are some quick tips on how to safely nourish your skin while enduring cancer treatments.
Chemotherapy and radiation treatment will have very different effects on the skin. For those going through radiation, it is critical to avoid phototoxic oils which will increase the skins sensitivity. Regardless of the products you choose to help ease the dry, itchy feeling, look carefully at the ingredient labels to avoid the following essential oils.
There are a few essential oils that will sensitize the skin regardless of light exposure:
- Fig leaf
- Dill seed
- Ylang ylang
What is the best way to keep your skin healthy during radiation and chemotherapy?
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Water is so important to the healing process.
- Use a gentle moisturizer that is chemical free. Lotions, butter, creams with Shea Butter will work wonders on dry, irritated skin.
- Stay away from HOT baths or showers and instead use warm water to bathe, the hot water will only irritate and dry your skin out more.
- Use gentle cleansers that wont strip your skin of its natural oils, preferably alcohol free.
- Be gentle with your skin. Don't use rough clothes that may cause irritation.
For those who have lived in dry climates, you may already be familiar with the wonderful nourishing power of aloe vera. Aloe is extremely nourishing and hydrating for not only your skin but your whole body. Taking an ounce of Aloe Vera Gel Juice twice daily will give your body a boost of hydration that helps the healing process.
All of the Glimmer Goddess® products have been developed specifically to encourage healthy, vibrant skin using only natural, organic and vegan ingredients. We will be introducing a line of products gentle enough for even the most sensitive skin. If you or a loved one are battling with the common skin irritations from cancer treatments, please check back soon as will will be launching a line of products to help ease the discomfort suffered by dry, itchy, sensitive skin cause by cancer treatments.
source: Dermatologist's Advice for the Best Skin Care During Chemotherapy. October 22, 2013 Link